Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memory upgrade
I've discovered over the years that I have a terrible memory.  It's been bad as long as I can remember, but it didn't used to be too much of a problem.  I wouldn't tell jokes because by the time I got to the end I'd forget a word, or the ending and the conversation would peter out in an embarrassed mumble, and I'd have to write down lists of things to do or I'd forget them at the most inconvenient moment.

I read a lot of autobiographies and I'm always astounded at the amount of detail that people remember.  They can go on at length about who their teachers and friends were at school, the various sights, sounds and smells of life around them and all the minutiae of their lives.  It astounds me.

I can't remember any of the people I went to school with including any of my teacher's names or faces, or even the layout of the schools and where they were!  I have trouble remember people's names after I've been introduced, and hell, even half, if not most of the messages I've written on this board are a total surprise to me!

I just spent 3 days trying to remember the name of the big blue dude from Monsters Inc.  I finally remembered when it got too much for me and I went to google, and as I typed in 'Mons' it came to me finally.  

I told my dad this and he burst out laughing and said 'Welcome to old age!'  

So I guess it's normal?

All I can say is, thank god for Google!  Maybe in a few generations people can get a Google implant in their heads and get information immediately, instead of wracking their brains for little details like the name of the hairy dude in Black Books, or that other comedian... the stand up guy... dark hair, english... sarcastic... what's his name.....argh.

Aims
(22-02-2015, 09:03 AM)Aimee Wrote:  I've discovered over the years that I have a terrible memory.  It's been bad as long as I can remember, but it didn't used to be too much of a problem.  I wouldn't tell jokes because by the time I got to the end I'd forget a word, or the ending and the conversation would peter out in an embarrassed mumble, and I'd have to write down lists of things to do or I'd forget them at the most inconvenient moment.

I read a lot of autobiographies and I'm always astounded at the amount of detail that people remember.  They can go on at length about who their teachers and friends were at school, the various sights, sounds and smells of life around them and all the minutiae of their lives.  It astounds me.

I bet it's because they interview people, or just have conversations with old school friends, and that triggers the memories, much like what you did below with the Google search. I'm guessing that when they run out of real memories or friends to interview, they just embellish.

(22-02-2015, 09:03 AM)Aimee Wrote:  I just spent 3 days trying to remember the name of the big blue dude from Monsters Inc.  I finally remembered when it got too much for me and I went to google, and as I typed in 'Mons' it came to me finally.  

So what's his damn name?

It's ok, I googled it and got it now.

I'll definitely be first in line for a Google Chip.
(22-02-2015, 09:55 AM)SpiroDotgeek Wrote:  
(22-02-2015, 09:03 AM)Aimee Wrote:  I've discovered over the years that I have a terrible memory.  It's been bad as long as I can remember, but it didn't used to be too much of a problem.  I wouldn't tell jokes because by the time I got to the end I'd forget a word, or the ending and the conversation would peter out in an embarrassed mumble, and I'd have to write down lists of things to do or I'd forget them at the most inconvenient moment.

I bet it's because they interview people, or just have conversations with old school friends, and that triggers the memories, much like what you did below with the Google search. I'm guessing that when they run out of real memories or friends to interview, they just embellish.

(22-02-2015, 09:03 AM)Aimee Wrote:  I just spent 3 days trying to remember the name of the big blue dude from Monsters Inc.  I finally remembered when it got too much for me and I went to google, and as I typed in 'Mons' it came to me finally.  

So what's his damn name?

It's ok, I googled it and got it now.

I'll definitely be first in line for a Google Chip.
It gives new meaning to having your head in the clouds.  All the memories can be stored there.  Only problem would be viruses, and whether google sells rights to advertising companies.  Imagine waking up one morning and wondering when you started drinking Coke, The Real Thing since childhood!  Yik.