Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mad Max: Fury Road
A couple of times a decade I decide to spend the obscene amounts of money necessary to go to the movie theatre.

The last time was Terminator 4, and the time before that was Team America: World Police (so that's once every 5 or 6 years)...

This last weekend it was for Mad Max: Fury Road. I fucking love post apocalyptic movies, and I love big, loud, dirty V8s. The first two movies I loved, the third one, for me, was spoiled by the Caravan of Courage-esque annoying kids that they wasted half the movie on, so I was a bit worried about this one.

A bunch of guys who run a website called Return of Kings have such a very fragile grasp of their own masculinity that they believe Fury Road is feminist propaganda and will be the downfall of men. I think their reasoning was something along the lines of there being a female as one of the main protagonists, and at one point in the movie she gave Max an instruction, which being the weak willed pantywaist that he is, obeyed it.

My brain melted trying to read it and decipher their retardation, so I won't link to it and put you through that.

Needless to say, their rage has resulted in many more ticket sales, and more and more females are actually realising that they like it, which is bloody great as far as I'm concerned.

The main protagonist is actually Furiosa, and Max is kind of in the background, and I know I should be offended that I've been sold a movie called Mad Max when it's really about someone else, but it's set in the "Mad Max universe" so I still would have gone to see it. I guess Fury Road is its name, and the Mad Max is just to let us know what to expect.

A lot of people I know thought it was a well crafted story and a cleverly woven plot, but I think it's actually pretty basic and generic. The plot, to me, was the weakest part of the film. But, well, you don't really go to a Mad Max movie expecting something akin to Game of Thrones.

I wish they had done more with Max, but that was easily repaid with all the car chases and splosions. And aside from that, the attention to detail of the vehicles, and the different groups involved in the story, were all pretty damn excellent. I loved how the vehicles were all hacked up from any spare parts, much like I would expect after an apocalyptic event.

One of the strengths of the movie is that it could have been sold as a reboot of the franchise, or simply a continuation, with Mad Max being a Conan-like wanderer who goes from place to place and not really bothering with what's behind him. It really looks like a post apocalyptic wasteland, and from that point of view it's a 10 out of 10.

It's not the best movie in the world, and it's not even the best post apocalyptic movie ever made, but it's fucking solid, and it's got everything we expect. It's got the cars, it's got the car chases, it's got the angry faux-religious bad dudes, and it's got the dusty wasteland. It ticks all the right boxes and totally met my expectations.

I give it 9 vulture picked-clean skulls out of 10.

[Image: kYtdzqR.png]
I need to see this Sad
(11-06-2015, 11:46 PM)Swathe Wrote:  I need to see this Sad

I accidentally found a cam copy of it on the Internet which I have yet to watch. It really should be seen on the big screen first though.
I know, but I'm not sure I will get there before it ends Sad

I almost considered accidentally a cam version but scared it won't do it justice